Treestand Placement Tips
As hunting season approaches, it’s a good time to take inventory of your gear and consider visibility, or rather, how to conceal it. After all, there is nothing worse than having a big buck in your sights and then spooking him just a second before you get your shot off.
Beyond just your camo, all of your gear should be hidden or help you stay concealed while providing those “perfect shot” opportunities. Using hunting blinds and treestands are almost a necessity when hunting big game and whitetails.
Mike Stroff’s 3 Tips for Treestand Placement
Before you buy a treestand, you’ll want to know your hunting area and where the best treestand location can fit into your hunting plans. Savage Outdoors host, Mike Stroff, provides some of his treestand tips for getting the best placement.
- Hang your stands in locations that you can approach without alerting the deer (wind has to be right and they can’t see you)
- In many cases I will hang a stand and have 2-3 different approaches to the stand depending on what the wind direction is
- If you have a spot that is hot season after season, it is best to hang 2-3 sets on this location so that you can hunt it on multiple winds
Academy Sports + Outdoors carries a variety of deer stands –climbing treestands, hang on stands, ladders stands, and free-standing – that can be customized with blinds and other hunting accessories to fit your style and needs on the field.
No matter which stands you go with, you’ll want to remember to hang your treestand with the sun behind you. This will ensure you can easily see any deer movement without the deer spotting you first.
EXPERT TIP: Take the hunt to new heights – the average hunting treestand height should be as high as you dare to hunt. The higher up you are, the harder it is for nearby deer to see or smell you.
Recommended Scent Eliminators for Hunting:
- Dead Down Wind Evolve 3-D+ 24 oz Field Spray
- Dead Down Wind 16 oz Hair and Body Soap
- Tink's #69 Doe-In-Rut® 4 oz. Buck Lure
- Dead Down Wind Laundry Pods 28-Pack
- Dead Down Wind Field Wash Cloths 20-Pack
HAVE FUN OUT THERE