Academy Sports + Outdoors is a premier sports, outdoor and lifestyle retailer with a broad assortment of quality hunting, fishing, and camping equipment and gear along with sports and leisure products, footwear, apparel and much more. The Texas-based company operates over 200 stores throughout Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The Academy Sports + Outdoors philosophy is to deliver an unparalleled shopping experience by providing convenience, offering a broad selection of quality products, delivering exceptional customer service and selling the right stuff at every day low prices.
The Destination for Active-Minded Families
Whether customers are getting prepared for a big game, a jog in a park, a tailgate with fellow fans, a hunting or fishing trip, a hike, the first day of school, an afternoon grilling in the backyard or a weekend of boating, their first stop should always be at Academy Sports + Outdoors. We have the apparel, footwear, equipment and gear for the fan, enthusiast and participant. No matter what skill or interest level, the whole family, from children to grandparents, will always find what they need at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Right Stuff. Low Price. Everyday!
Academy Sports + Outdoors is one of the nation's largest sporting goods and outdoor stores. It is currently owned by funds advised by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P. (together with its affiliates, "KKR"), a leading global investment firm, and led by CEO and President J.K. Symancyk. Prior to August 2011, the company was owned by the Gochman Family and led by Chairman and CEO David Gochman. David's grandfather, Max Gochman, started Academy Sports + Outdoors over 75 years ago when he opened Academy Tire Shop in 1938 in San Antonio, Texas. After a few years, Max began selling military surplus, and the store continued to evolve into what it is now a premier sports, outdoor and lifestyle retailer with a broad assortment of high-quality hunting, fishing and camping equipment and gear along with sports and leisure products, footwear, apparel and much more. Over the last several decades, the company has grown substantially from its small beginnings. Sales reached one billion dollars in 2004, two billion dollars in 2007, and three billion dollars in 2012. Today, annual sales exceed $4.6 billion.
Our Mission and Vision
The Academy Sports + Outdoors vision is to be the premier sports, outdoor and lifestyle store of choice, continuously adapting to our customers' changing needs. The company's mission is comprised of three parts. The first is to deliver an unparalleled shopping experience by providing convenience, offering a broad selection of quality products, delivering exceptional customer service, and selling at everyday low prices. The second is to know our customers. Customers are our number one priority as we strive to be the retail destination they can trust. The third is to respect our associates by creating opportunities for personal growth and career advancement, while promoting teamwork in an enjoyable and rewarding work environment.
Company History Timeline
- 1938 - Academy Sports + Outdoors traces its roots to 1938 when founder Max Gochman opened the Academy Tire Shop in San Antonio, Texas.
- 1939 - Academy Tire Shop begins selling military surplus.
- 1945 - Max changes store name to "Academy Super Surplus".
- 1956 - Max moves his business to Austin, Texas and expands to four stores.
- 1973 - Max's son Arthur Gochman purchases Southern Surplus Sales in Houston and changes its name to "Academy Corp." Arthur opens six Academy Super Surplus stores in Houston.
- 1978 - Arthur stops practicing law, devotes his time to Academy, and moves the corporate office to Houston.
- 1980s - Academy introduces sports and outdoors items including fishing, camping and sporting goods to its product assortment.
- 1981 - Academy moves into new offices and a 50,000 sq. ft. warehouse.
- 1983 - Academy runs its first multi-page newspaper advertisement during the holiday.
- 1984 - Athletic brands are added to the Academy product assortment.
- 1988 - Academy opens its first "big box" stores of 35,000-40,000 sq. ft.
- 1990 - Academy Sports + Outdoors purchases its current corporate office and distribution center at 1800 N. Mason Road in Katy, Texas. Company grows to 28 stores across Texas.
- 1991 - Academy exits military surplus business. Sales reach $100 million.
- 1994 - Academy expands beyond Texas to Edmond, Oklahoma and Lafayette, Louisiana.
- 1995 - Company changes its name to "Academy Sports + Outdoors".
- 1998 - Academy Sports + Outdoors opens its first Florida location.
- 1999 - Academy Sports + Outdoors opens its first Tennessee and Mississippi store locations. Sales reach $500 million.
- 2000 - Academy Sports + Outdoors opens 50th store location in Temple, Texas. Sales reach $1 billion
- 2003 - Academy Sports + Outdoors opens its first Arkansas location.
- 2005 - Academy Sports + Outdoors opens its first Missouri and Georgia locations.
- 2006 - Academy Sports + Outdoors employs over 10,000 associates across the Southeast. The company opens first 100,000 sq. ft. store.
- 2007 - Rodney Faldyn is named as President. Academy Sports + Outdoors opens its first South Carolina location. Sales reach $2 billion.
- 2009 - Academy Sports + Outdoors adds a second distribution facility in Twiggs County, GA.
- 2011 - Academy Sports + Outdoors is acquired by KKR, a leading global investment firm. Rodney Faldyn is named CEO and President. The company also launches academy.com as a full eCommerce retail site.
- 2012 - Academy Sports + Outdoors opens its first North Carolina and Kansas locations. Sales reach $3 billion.
- 2014 - Academy Sports + Outdoors opens its first Indiana and Kentucky locations. Sales reach $4 billion.
- 2015 - J.K. Symancyk is named as CEO & President. Academy Sports + Outdoors opens 200th store location in Tupelo, MS.
- Today - Academy Sports + Outdoors operates over 200 stores in 15 states with 23,000+ associates throughout the South, Southeast and Midwest. Sales exceed $4.6 billion, and the company is led by CEO & President J.K. Symancyk.