First, consider the playing field. While league requirements often regulate which type of footwear can be worn, players still have plenty of choices. Short studs are ideal for dry ground, while long studs are better suited to grip wet, uneven surfaces. Many players use a single pair throughout the season, but some may prefer the versatility of football shoes with detachable cleats that are easy to swap out as needed.
- Molded Football Cleats: Permanently attached to the shoes, these football studs firmly grip ground and artificial grass. This type of cleat is often used by youth and recreational players.
- Detachable Football Cleats: Often longer and more powerful, these football spikes make it easy to transition between surfaces and conditions. This type of cleat is often used by more advanced players at the high school, collegiate and pro levels.
If you will be playing most often on grass, detachable cleats will be the way to go, thanks to their versatility. Molded cleats, however, require less maintenance overall, and are known for comfortable wear, even over long periods of time.
Do you need to hold the line or want explosiveness to get that quick first-step to blow past defenders? Different positions require different levels of support.
- Running Backs, Receivers, Defensive Backs: A lower cut (below the ankle) means more flexibility and a lighter overall feel. Low-top football cleats are perfect for agile positions.
- Quarterbacks, Running Backs, Linebackers, Tight Ends: Mid-height (at the ankle) football shoes provide moderate support at the ankle, suiting players in a wide variety of positions.
- Defenders, Linemen: High-top (above the ankle) football cleats protect against rolled and twisted ankles. With the highest level of ankle support, the more restricted feel is ideal for non-agile positions.
If maximizing mobility or minimizing injury are the game plans, Academy Sports + Outdoors has you covered with performance footwear from Nike, adidas™, Under Armour™ and other top brands that elevate your skills while avoiding unnecessary roughness with your budget. Along with footwear, explore the other football gear essentials to make this season one for the books!