Every workout has its own series of challenges. From sore muscles to sweat, your outfit should be the least of your worries. That’s why picking the right gear for the right workout is crucial to both your comfort and consistency.
Think back to the last workout clothes you wore. Did you have layers? Did you wear breathable fabric? Did your outfit move with you? All of these things are important when you’re trying to optimize your workout. Fabrics, breathability, and layers can control how much you sweat while stretchy material can make active workouts a breeze.
Whether you’re a marathon runner, a yogi, or both, optimizing your closet for each workout is a great idea. At Academy Sports + Outdoors, we carry a range of shoes, apparel, and gear for every situation.
Below, we’ll share with you our top tips and tricks for common workouts as well as some workout gear recommendations!
When you’re running mile after mile, a lot of focus is given to the type and tread of the running shoes you’re using. But next time you’re about to hit the trail or the road, think about these factors when choosing your apparel:
- Friction – Streamlined design can help combat excess material while preventing wear and tear on your skin, all while offering a more flattering fit. Check out the Nike Tempo Shorts and the BCG Men’s Dash 2-in-1 Running Shorts 5 in for well-priced options.
- Structure – Elastic waistbands, high-tech materials, reinforced seams, and zippered pockets can help provide support run after run. That’s why we recommend the BCG Women's Contrast Pieced Crop Leggings for their solid construction.
- Ventilation – Mesh panels can help keep you cool while providing an adequate amount of airflow throughout your gear. Specialized fabrics can also provide moisture-wicking to keep you dry and comfortable. Our favorite options are the BCG Women’s Running Mesh Angle Shorts, the BCG Women's Ombre Short Sleeve T-shirt, the BCG Men’s Ombre Long Sleeve Running Shirt, and the Nike Men's Legend 2.0 Short Sleeve T-shirt.
Before you roll out your mat or head into meditation, consider how the gear you’re wearing can affect both your mind and body. If you’re sitting or standing, moving from pose to pose will make you consider the factors below:
- Fit – Forward bends and unique positions can make form-fitting clothes keys to a great session. That’s why the Nike Women's Dri-FIT One Tank Top and the low-impact support of the Nike™ Women's Indy V-Neck Low Support Sports Bra are better options compared to looser, running-style clothing.
- Stretch – Freedom of movement is key when bending and twisting through your workout. That’s why we love the stretchy fabric in the Freely Women's Haven High Waist 7/8 Pocket Leggings and the BCG Women's Tummy Control Texture 7/8 Leggings.
- Grip – Traction on yoga mats or the studio floor can help you engage your core and strengthen your poses. If you’re looking for more than bare feet, consider yoga socks and shoes designed with a non-slip grip.
From intense indoor classes to exploring the great outdoors, cycling can be one of your most beneficial workouts. There are, however, a few factors you need to consider before jumping on your bike:
- Support – When you’re doing a high-intensity sport like cycling, a sleek, structured outfit can help you power through each session and keep you from getting tangled in the gears. The BCG Women’s Training Bike Shorts and the Freely Women's James Strappy Back Sports Bra are great options for providing the support you need.
- Breathability – Keeping cool and dry while you’re cycling provides a more comfortable and focused experience. Check out the Nike Men's NP Dri-FIT Hyper Dry 1/4 Zip Training Shirt and the Under Armour Men’s Tech 2.0 Novelty T-Shirt, which both feature lightweight fabrics.
- Function – Each layer of your workout attire should serve multiple purposes. That’s why the Nike Women's One Mid Rise 2.0 Tights wicks sweat, provides support and has a flat elastic waistband you’ll never have to tug at.
Where Can I Find Workout Gear?
You already know! Check out Academy Sports + Outdoors for a full range of men’s and women’s workout clothes. Whether you’re looking for men’s joggers, women’s sneakers, or plus-size options, there are plenty of essentials to find in-store and online.