Buying Guide To
Helpful information about volleyball equipment for all skill levels
Indoor Volleyball Design Features:
- Indoor volleyballs have 10-18 panels sewn together to prom a spherical outer shell
- The internal air bladder provides action and responsiveness when the ball is struck
- Most game balls are white, though additional colors have been approved in some leagues and are becoming more popular
Indoor Volleyball Materials:
- The outer lining, or shell, of an indoor volleyball is typically made of leather or synthetic leather
- As you move from GOOD to BETTER to BEST quality balls, the quality and durability of the materials improves
- BEST quality indoor volleyballs will have a better feel, last longer, and hold their air pressure better
Indoor Volleyball Weights:
- Standard indoor volleyballs weigh 12 oz
- Lighter 8 oz balls are available and typically used for youth players under 14
- Heavier 16 oz balls are used for training purposes and help to develop strength, particularly when setting
Outdoor Ball Design:
- Outdoor volleyballs are very similar to indoor volleyballs, using the same size and weight specifications
- One primary difference is that outdoor volleyballs typically use bright colors to help improve visibility when playing in the bright sun
- Outdoor balls are also less pressurized in order to minimize the effects of the wind
Outdoor Volleyball Materials:
- Outdoor volleyballs are designed so that they won't absorb moisture
- Materials used include soft synthetic leathers and com0posites resulting in a generally spongier-feeling ball that is easier to handle and control
- Moving from GOOD to BETTER to BEST results in more durable outer materials and bladders, providing the customer with a longer-lasting, high performance ball
- Because indoor volleyball games are played on hardwood courts, players will wear knee pads to avoid injuries
- Pads are available in junior, adult, and one-size-fits-all sizes
- Typically made from polyurethane (PU) foam padding
- Provide shock absorption as well as the ability to slide (not stick) on gym floors
- Moving from GOOD to BETTER to BEST quality knee pads results in more durable materials and comfort
- The 4 main factors to differentiate volleyball footwear are: design, material, arch support, and price
- The material for most shoes will be a synthetic leather with mesh uppers to provide good support with lighter weight and better breathability
- For support and design each manufacturer will have their own style, cushioning and support systems for their particular footwear
- The 3 brands of footwear we offer is: Nike, Asics, and Mizuno
Waiting For Status
Please wait while our system retrieves your application status.
Redirecting To Card Application
You have been approved. Your temporary
Academy Sports + Outdoors Visa card has been saved to this order.
To receive the one-time $25 off promotion, your cart subtotal must be at least $25. Promotion will be applied on the Review & Place Order page.
Your application is pending approval.
The $25 off promotion will not be applied. To continue to checkout, please select another method of payment.
We are unable to connect at this time. Please try again.
Are you sure that you want to change your payment method? After doing so you will no longer receive your $25 off from your instant line of credit.
If you would still like to change your payment method, please hit continue.
Confirm Payment Method
We're sorry, we are unable to process your order using a Gift Card as a payment method in combination with the $25 off promotion at this time.
Applying a Gift Card will cancel your promotional offer.
You Have Been Idle For 5 Minutes
For your security, your session will time out in five minutes.
Need Ten Min Warning Title
For your security, please checkout within 10 minutes.